Saturday, April 25, 2009

100+ Challenge

Hello everyone, glad to see that one week after the read-a-thon, people are starting to get back online to post some of their successes and reviews. I don't normally write reviews, but I can't wait to start doing more reviews once my seminar papers are finished. (3 weeks--yay!)

I'm finishing my last semester of coursework for my Ph.D., and one of the things that has been made super-clear to me over the past month or so is how torturous-yet-amazing the qualifying exam process is going to be. I'll have to read hundreds of books to prepare for my exams, but I can't wait! I can't wait to read just to read and learn for the benefit of my own career, rather than reading between the lines to try to say something intelligent and interesting in class. I'm tired of trying to impress unimpressible people, and I am so excited about reading reading reading for my own edification. Now, will it be stressful? Heck yes. But do I think I will enjoy it more than coursework? Heck yes.

Anyway, as I was discovering new blogs this past week and during the read-a-thon, I found Melissa's blog. I found a reading challenge on her blog called the 100+ challenge, which sounded vaguely familiar, like I had seen it on a few other pages too but never investigated because it sounded too scary. Once I read all about it, it still sounded totally scary, but I have joined because I have faith in myself and I KNOW how much I'll have to read for quals. So, without further adieu...

The 100+ Reading Challenge will be hosted here this year.

Here are the guidelines:

1) You can join anytime as long as you don’t start reading your books prior to 2009.
2) This challenge is for 2009 only. The last day to have all your books read is December 31, 2009.
3) You can join anytime between now and December 31, 2009.
4) If you don’t have a blog, please join our Yahoo Groups.
5) When you sign up under Mr. Linky, list the direct link to your post where your 100+ books will be listed. If you list just your blog’s URL, it will be removed.
6) All books count: children’s, YA, adults, fiction, non-fiction, how-tos, etc.
***Update: You do not have to decided on your books ahead of time. You can add or subtract from your list during the year.

I have not picked my 100 books yet, as I know that most of them will be chosen for me by my quals committee, but here are the ones that I have completed between January 1 and today. This list isn't entirely complete, but I think I've remembered most of them so far. I'll come back and update this list as I go along so that I can keep track. I'll also be adding reviews later, and will eventually make this list clickable. Give me time...

Fiction
1. Caleb Williams by William Godwin
2. The Hudson Book of Fiction: 30 Stories Worth Reading
3. The Giver by Lois Lowry
4. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
5. The Messenger by Lois Lowry
6. Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie
7. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
8. Dracula by Bram Stoker
*****Additions after Apr. 25*****
10. Dr. Dredd's Wagon of Wonders by Bill Brittain
May
11. A Day with Wilbur Robinson by William Joyce
12. The Essence of the Thing by Madeleine St. John
June
14. The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa
15. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
16.

Currently Reading: Hard Times and Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Christmas Books by Charles Dickens

Drama
1. Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare
2. Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
3. Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
4. A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
5. Blasted by Sarah Kane
6. Henry V by William Shakespeare
7. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
8. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
9. King Lear by William Shakespeare
10. The Tempest by Williams Shakespeare
11. Much Ado About Nothing by Williams Shakespeare


Non-fiction
1. At Day's Close by Ekirch
2. New England Funeral Sermons ed. by Bosco
3. The Book of Common Prayer
4. The Puritan Way of Death by David Stannard
5. Film Noir by Bruce Crowther
6. How to read literature like a professor by Thomas C. Foster
7. Being Perfect by Anna Quindlen
8. The Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen
11. Detection & Its Designs: Narrative and Power in 19th-Century Detective Fiction by Peter Thoms
13. All Cooked Up: Recipes and Memories from Elvis' Family and Friends
more here...I'll have to find them
Currently Reading: ...

Poetry
1. The Hudson Book of Poetry: 150 Poems Worth Reading

1 comment:

J. Kaye said...

Wanted to stop in and welcome you to the 100+ Reading Challenge. Also, the links to post your reviews are up in the right sidebar at J. Kaye’s Book Blog. This is, of course, totally optional.

Have Fun!