Friday, May 8, 2009

Reading my own books

As this semester winds down, ***====errr...wait, yes I am still writing two major essays, but at least I can kinda see the light at the end of the tunnel since both of my due dates are next Friday====***

As this semester winds down, I am getting more and more excited about reading for quals. Especially, I am looking forward to reading all of my amazing 19th century novels that have been patiently, oh so quietly, sitting on the shelves waiting for me to pick them up with a voracious hunger for learning.

So, of course I joined another challenge.


I saw this one at Melissa's Shhh I'm Reading blog here and on S. Krishna's page here. :) This one is Perfect with a capital P for me. It's called the Read Your Own Books (RYOB) 2009 challenge hosted by MizB, and it encourages you to read the books you already have on your shelves rather than buying more! The challenge runs from Jan 1, 2009-December 31, 2009, so there are still about seven months left for it. Plus, you get to choose the number of books you feel is appropriate, and some of them can even be re-reads. YOU get to choose! (See, didn't I tell you it was Perfect with a capital P?) Here's what I'm starting out with, and they're all on my quals list:
  1. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (in progress)

  2. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

  3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (in progress)

  4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

  5. Bleak House by Charles Dickens

  6. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

  7. Adam Bede by George Eliot

  8. The Eustace Diamonds by Anthony Trollope

  9. Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope

  10. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
I'm excited that this challenge will also overlap with my Classics Reading Challenge and the 100+ challenge.
Wish me luck on my final papers! For one of them, I'm creating my own scholarly edition of Shakespeare's Henry V Act I Scene I. For the other (the one I'm working on today), I'm writing an analysis of the metaphor of sleep in Early New England Puritan sermons, specifically looking at the metaphor's relation to the Calvinist teachings against idleness and belief in Purgatory.
Ugh.

6 comments:

Sharone said...

I'm almost done with Bleak House! :) It's one of the books on my Classics Challenge list - yay! I have been reading snippets in between all the other yucky stuff I'm reading.

Trish said...

LOL--you're not getting addicted are you? :) You know, I never did finish The Eustace Diamonds. Probably won't. Haha! I'll just keep it there on the shelf next to Pamela, which I also have no desire to finish. I do need to read some Dickens, though. I've really been missing him lately.

Karen Beth said...

Sharone--yay! Almost done w/ Bleak House is a HUGE accomplishment. It's almost as long as Dombey. :)

Trish--there was never any doubt that I would be addicted. It's in my nature to be excited about everything related to books. I actually loved The Eustace Diamonds but need to re-read it for my exams because I don't remember it too well. Pamela on the other hand (which I also have to read for exams) is so far down on my happy list that I never want to see it again! Sigh. You win some, you lose some. We always win with Dickens!

Molly said...

Congratulations on completing (almost) another semester. My classes end next Friday and I am VERY ready for summer break.

I LOVE your list of books that you want to read. I have never read Anthony Trollope, but should probably add him to my list as well.

Sara Jillian said...

Almost done with the semester--congrats! :)

I've been wanting to re-read The Moonstone and Lady Audley's Secret; I'd forgotten about The Eustace Diamonds until I read your post; chalk that up to another re-read as well!

Trish: pick up your copy of OMF :)

Molly: good luck with the end of the semester! I'm almost finished with my grading; can't wait to get to your reading challenge!

Karen Beth said...

Molly-thanks for the well wishes! This time of the year is so stressful! It's nice to know others are going through the same thing.

Many people can't stand Trollope compared to Dickens, but he's a very important writer for his time period. He was so prolific! Try the Eustace Diamonds if you're a Trollope beginner. It's fun!

And Sara, you totally should re-read The Moonstone. I'm re-reading it right now for another paper that I'll be working on in a few weeks. We should talk about it! I would love your two cents.