Friday, June 12, 2009

Booking Through Thursday-Book Niche Reading

This week's Booking Through Thursday asks us...

There are certain types of books that I more or less assume all readers read. (Novels, for example.)

But then there are books that only YOU read. Instructional manuals for fly-fishing. How-to books for spinning yarn. How to cook the perfect souffle. Rebuilding car engines in three easy steps. Dog training for dummies. Rewiring your house without electrocuting yourself. Tips on how to build a NASCAR course in your backyard. Stuff like that.

What niche books do YOU read?

****


I love this question, if only because it makes me think about a lot of my favorite books!


My first niche is definitely 19th C. Victorian fiction, which is why I have built my future career around teaching this genre of literature. I love Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, the Brontes, Elizabeth Gaskell, Thomas Hardy, Marie Corelli...ALL OF THEM!!

My second niche is something that fits into niche 1 but has also expanded beyond that--classic and modernist detective fiction. Collins, Doyle, Agatha Christie :)


Niche 3 is cookbooks. I can't get enough of reading cookbooks. I enjoy the little side stories and information about food and nutrition, or the history of certain dishes, but I really love reading recipes. I don't care if I never make the item. I just love learning about food combinations and ingredients. I make probably 90% of our meals at home from scratch, so even if I don't use the recipes, they always help me with my own cooking. Just like Molly, I love reading muffin cookbooks. I also love cookie recipes and crock-pot ideas. Just recently I combined two of my obsessions (Elvis Presley and cooking) into one of my readings...a book called All Cooked Up: Recipes and Memories from Elvis' Family and Friends. The writing was abysmal, but the pictures and recipes were top notch. What I'm really looking for is a good Pie cookbook. Does anyone have any suggestions? So far I've been disappointed at the bookstores.


Thanks for the question!

3 comments:

Charley said...

I also enjoy detective fiction, though I don't read it regularly. I just re-read The Man with the Twisted Lip, one of the Sherlock Holmes stories I enjoyed when I took a detective fiction course in college.

Literary Feline said...

I really enjoy detection fiction too. I have quite a few cookbooks in the house, but none I look through on a regular basis. My husband is the cook in our family so they're more his than mine.

Literary Feline said...

I meant detective fiction. I can't seem to type straight today. LOL