Thursday, June 11, 2009

Review: Students Must Write

Students Must Write by Robert Barrass completes my Non-Fiction Five Challenge!! Most of this book seemed directed at undergraduates, so it wasn't very helpful for me halfway through my Ph.D. Also, it was very much geared toward British writing rather than American writing, and all the bibliography resources were for British particularities as well. But the one part that was useful for me (and maybe even my writing students!) was a series of charts that had "commonly used phrases" on one side and "better way to say it" on the other side. There were charts for being more concise, using the correct prepositions, cutting out unnecessary adjectives or adverbs, using stronger verbs, not writing in passive...good stuff. I don't necessarily recommend checking this book out and reading it cover to cover, but the charts are great as references. I might photocopy them for my own use.


***
Here are my books and some of the reviews for this challenge--my first one finished--ever! (I'm still new to the book blog scene :) Somehow I ended up reading 6 instead of 5. Plus the many essays from non-fiction scholarly books I read for my classes and papers that I didn't blog about.
  1. All Cooked Up: Recipes and Memories from Elvis' Family and Friends
  2. Be Happy Without Being Perfect by Alice Domar and Alice Lesch Kelly
  3. A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen

How is everyone else doing on their summer challenges so far?

No comments: