Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

I've been reading Little Dorrit for about a month now, and as much as I would like to tell you the good news--that I've finished--it would be a falsehood by about 100 pages. I couldn't stop myself from posting about this book anyway, though, because it has been such a joy each day as my bookmark has crawled from page to page.

Charles Dickens is my favorite author, a position rivaled only by his acquaintance and writing partner Wilkie Collins. To date, I've read nine Dickens novels, and Lil' D will make 10. Quite an accomplishment! Dickens is hard to get through, if only because of the hundreds of characters that make their way into the seven or eight hundred page plots, but he is well worth the effort.

I have been laughing, smiling, crying, and *God knows* chortling at the humor and tragedy of the Dorrit family. Little Amy Dorrit is my heroine, if ever I have had a literary one. She is tired but strong, and she warms my heart each time I learn more about her. Her endearing qualities are rivaled only perhaps by those of Florence Dombey or Sissy Jupe, from Dombey and Son and Hard Times, respectively.

If anyone out there has read it, don't ruin the ending for me! But, if you haven't read it (and are looking for a long, drawn out, hilariously unlikely but precious tale that may or may not take you a month to finish), go right out and find a copy!! I really do love this book. :)

3 comments:

Trish said...

Sigh. I love Dickens. Maybe not as much as you (ok, I know not), but I'm still intimidated by the guy.

Speaking of Dickens AND Collins, have you heard anything about the book Drood? Sounds right up your corner. I've got it sitting on the shelf but it's a daunting 700+ pages (in true Dickens fashion, I guess). :)

Jeane said...

I always have difficulty reading Dickens, but this does sound like a nice one.

Just stopping by to let you know you've won one of my bookmarks here

Bybee said...

another for my wishlist...