Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Updates and hellos and PICTURES!

If you're a regular reader of my blog, you know that I've "gone quiet" for several months. It was a much needed break, but I hope I can get back in the swing of things. It wasn't practical for me to try to blog during our 5-wk trip across the country, and then life was a bit too overwhelming to make time for non-academic writing once we got back. But I have been busy reading! (and working, and cleaning, and baking, attending writing teachers' workshops, and planning three different syllabi!)

I have some challenge updates to make, and I am SO excited to make these lists. They have been a long time in the making.

I've been reading steadily for months and months for Trish's Classics Challenge 2009, and these are a few of the classics that I am counting for this challenge. Trish broke the challenge into various categories, and I signed up for the Classics Feast, which means reading 6 classics. I also participated in the bonus round, which meant reading one extra book that I felt should someday be considered a classic. I don't have reviews for these books posted, mostly because I have finished them since the last time I posted, but also because...how does one review Hamlet? :) I'll add links to this page once I get more reviews typed. It will actually be really helpful as I study for qualifying exams.

My Classics Feast + Bonus
1) Hamlet by Shakespeare
2) Dracula by Bram Stoker
3) Villette by Charlotte Bronte
4) The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
5) The Law and the Lady by Wilkie Collins
6) The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
7) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
8) Hard Times by Charles Dickens
9) The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
10) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
11) Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
12) Bonus "someday" classic: The End of the Alphabet by CS Richardson

The next challenge update I have is the 2009 Read-your-own-books Challenge. I'm doing really well on this one, and it mirrors the above list since I owned all of those novels...only with the exception of the last book, which I read from the library. So, I've completed both of these challenges!!

The final challenge update that I have tonight is the 100+ Challenge, which is shaping up pretty nicely. I count 53 books so far, although I need to go back through my records to find the others.


Fiction
1. Caleb Williams by William Godwin
2. The Hudson Book of Fiction: 30 Stories Worth Reading
3. The Giver by Lois Lowry
4. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
5. The Messenger by Lois Lowry
6. Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie
7. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
8. Dracula by Bram Stoker
9. The Declaration by Gemma Malley
10. Dr. Dredd's Wagon of Wonders by Bill Brittain
May
11. A Day with Wilbur Robinson by William Joyce
12. The Essence of the Thing by Madeleine St. John
June
13. The Wonderful O by James Thurber
14. The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa
15. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
16. The Law and the Lady by Wilkie Collins
17. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
18. Hard Times by Charles Dickens
19. Villette by Charlotte Bronte
20. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
21. Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
22. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
23. The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
24. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Drama
1. Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare
2. Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
3. Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
4. A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
5. Blasted by Sarah Kane
6. Henry V by William Shakespeare
7. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
8. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
9. King Lear by William Shakespeare
10. The Tempest by Williams Shakespeare
11. Much Ado About Nothing by Williams Shakespeare

Non-fiction
1. At Day's Close by Ekirch
2. New England Funeral Sermons ed. by Bosco
3. The Book of Common Prayer
4. The Puritan Way of Death by David Stannard
5. Film Noir by Bruce Crowther
6. How to read literature like a professor by Thomas C. Foster
7. Being Perfect by Anna Quindlen
8. The Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen
9. The Big Moo edited by Seth Godin
10. Be Happy Without Being Perfect by Alice D. Domar and Alice Lesch Kelly
11. Detection & Its Designs: Narrative and Power in 19th-Century Detective Fiction by Peter Thoms
12. Perfecting Ourselves To Death: The Pursuit Of Excellence And The Perils Of Perfectionism by Richard Winter
13. All Cooked Up: Recipes and Memories from Elvis' Family and Friends
14. Students Must Write: Guide to Better Writing in Coursework and Examinations by Robert Barrass
15. The Kitchen Diaries by Nigel Slater
16. A Broom of One's Own by Nancy Peacock
17. Eat that Frog by Brian Tracy
more here...I'll have to find them

Volumes of Poetry
1. The Hudson Book of Poetry: 150 Poems Worth Reading

The end of 100+ list...

Now, enough book talk! Here are a few of the highlights from this summer:
All the cousins on one side of the family, from left to right:
me (KB), Emily, beautiful bride Bethany, Kristen, and Jenny
The group of us that drove together to Tennessee:
Scott, me (KB), little Tim, my sister Christy, and her husband Nick
One of my best friends in the entire world: the lovely Erin
Above--My nephew Timothy letting us know that it's time to open birthday presents!
He turned 2 during our trip. :)
Below--My handsome husband Scott reading to the genius newphew. Or more likely, Tim was reading to Scott!
Hope you enjoyed my pictures! I'll be back to blogging soon.

3 comments:

Molly said...

Welcome back! I sounds like you have had a great, although busy, summer.

Sharone said...

Timothy (Timmy? Just Tim? I add an -y to the end of everything) is so cute! I love seeing pictures of him all grown up :) and my word, you've read a lot of books! I'm jealous!

Trish said...

You are so amazing to me, Karen Beth. Miss you bunches and bunches.

Oh--and did you see the next read-a-thon has been announced? You game? :P