Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fall Readathon

Well, my friends, it's that time again--the Read-a-thon! You might remember the Spring 2009 Read-a-thon, which I participated in last semester. It was exhausting but very productive for my schoolwork and my teaching, so OF COURSE when Trish asked me if I was participating in this one, the answer had to be yes.

If you're curious and would like to see what all the fuss is about or thinking about joining, all the details are HERE!

Anyway, it turns out that I won't be able to read for the entire 24 hours of the read-a-thon, but I will read as much as I can. Scott and I have tennis lessons on Saturday mornings (which we've already paid for and can't miss!), then the homecoming football game at the college where we teach. But, that said, I am incredibly excited about all of the reading I'll be doing this weekend. Woo hoo, qualifying exams list!

A few people have asked me what I'm going to be reading, and while I don't have a specific read-a-thon list like I did last time, here's what's on my quals list for this week:

Charles Dickens Bleak House
Mary Shelley Frankenstein
Sir Walter Scott Waverley
Thomas Hardy The Return of the Native

So...I am obviously breaking rule number 1 of all read-a-thons which states that I need to pick short fun books, but I would be knee-deep in these novels this weekend anyway, so I might as well keep on reading them!

In other news, I finished THREE books this week (yay, fist pump). Charles Dickens's The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Anthony Trollope's Barchester Towers, and Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders. Of course I didn't start and finish them this week, but let victories however small be victories.

Okay. Now I have to go grade papers so that I'll have time to read this weekend!

4 comments:

Molly said...

I planned all my grading to take place AFTER the weekend. So while I have close to 12 hours of grading to complete next week, I can participate in the read-athon guilt free :)

You do have some heavy books there, but classics always offer a rewarding reading experience.

Trish said...

Yay Karen Beth!! And hey--if anyone can handle heavy reads during the read-a-thon, I know it's you.

Can't wait!

MamaErin said...

I wish I was able to read as much as you! You are so blessed to have a job that allows you such a luxury =) Right now my reading time happens when Jeremiah gets his speech therapy... which isn't much time at all

Have fun with your read a thon!

J.M. said...

I second your fist pump!