Sunday, April 4, 2010

April already?

March came and went and I kind of remember it but not quite. I remember being very sick, being in an airplane, being in a different state, being super-wife, and being very tired, but not much else.

After I passed my qualifying exams, life got even more hectic--if that's possible. I think it's because, as soon as my exams were over, I immediately had to start working on everything I had postponed "until after quals." Real life was much less fun than quals life, as stressful as it had been for the past seven months, and on top of everything else, my husband was gearing up for his quals exams. Enter super-wife. (She looks a lot like me, only with deeper circles etched around her eyes.)

Then came our Pride and Prejudice transdisciplinary panel at the College English Association conference at the end of March. The trip to San Antonio with Scott, Jan, Stefani, and Sharone would have been a blast had I not had the worst cold imaginable. I probably haven't been that sick in the past five years. Instead of partying Tex-Mex style on the Riverwalk, I had to settle for watching the rest of the gang have a blast while I ran off to blow my nose every two minutes. Nevertheless, it was a memorable trip that had positive effects on my scholarship and possibly on my future career, so we'll chalk this up to a disappointing while at the same time really good trip.

Let's see....what else happened in March? I was given two really big pieces of news--one good and one bad:

1. My sister is pregnant with her second baby, so I'll be an aunt again! We are all thrilled for baby #2, which is due in the fall.
2. My dissertation advisor is resigning his position at our university as of July 1st. *enter wails of frustration and self-pity here* We're still trying to work out the details, but from what I've been told by my advisor, as long as I can get a completed dissertation proposal turned in by the time he signs his resignation letter, he can still be my dissertation chair from long-distance. Considering that he's the only prof I've taken any Brit Lit courses with since I've been at this institution, I think I need to keep him on my committee, even if it's extremely complicated. I'll probably have to find another chair-of-record on campus, but at least my current advisor is willing to continue working with me even though he's moving to a more prestigious school and has no legal obligation to chair my committee. So, I'll just keep praying about it and working on my proposal as quickly as I can. That's really all I can do at this point. Advice? Suggestions?

Oh, the other big news (finally this is MY news and not news imposed on me) is that I lost seven pounds this month! I've gained a few of them back with the traveling and flying and weird eating schedule during the trip, but I am excited about my "loss." I went on an all-natural foods diet for 10 days that focused on eating cruciferous veggies, leafy greens, citrus, eggs, berries, apples and carrots, and lean meats cooked with olive oil. There was not a single day that I was hungry, and the fresh produce was so delicious! Scott and I have continued to cook all-natural whenever we have the opportunity. Once I stop eating Easter cookies, maybe I'll be back on track again. :)

Anyway, that was my March. How was yours? Reading anything good?

1 comment:

Chris said...

You guys had a full March. Sounds like April should be a bit of a breather hopefully. As for reading, I am loving Anna K but hard to find the necessary time it requires.