Friday, May 21, 2010

Theme on a variation of sleep and grad school

It's SUMMER TIME!!!!

And I might finally get back to blogging now that I've completed a major project!! I received a really nice research grant last year, but 12 months later a report was due about how that money was used and how much I had accomplished...etc. I'm really glad that I had to do a write-up because it affirmed for me in new ways how much I really had learned and accomplished. For the grant, I was able to complete an entire scholarly article on film, which is not my major, but one of my minors. I was looking specifically at how directors were using sleep in a silent horror film and in film noir. My mom used to balk at my research topics of sleep, nightmares, insomnia, somnambulism, murder and trauma during sleep...but now I guess she's going to have to get used to it as my specialization, since that's my dissertation topic. I'm going to be writing about all the crazy things Victorian women were doing in their sleep. :) And...hopefully I'm one of the first. Otherwise, I might as well go dissertate on cheese or something less scary. I say less scary because, well, you just never know with cheese.

One of my bffs is gearing up to take her qualifying exams this week which kind of makes me anxious all over again, even though I've already taken and passed my exams. I'm one of those friends, the kind that hovers over the phone for news all day when I know something big is going on. It's a good kind of friend to be, but I also need to relax a little bit more.

I am leaving for Texas in about 50 days for my ten year high school reunion, so I guess that means I have seven weeks to remind myself why I want to see these people again. There are a few that I am so excited to catch up with, but there are a few that will probably judge me because I have no kiddos or no retirement plan at age 28. No house of my own and no back yard for lounging. (Suddenly I'm distracted from what I was saying because I am trying to remember the last time I lounged!)

But, I took a different path from my high school peers. I went to college and then went to grad school and then went to another grad school...and now I'm....still in grad school.

I think this whole reunion would be a lot less stressful if I already had my Ph.D. instead of being in the dissertation stage. I could say, boo yah, looky there. It's fine that I don't have kids and a home because I have a frickin doctorate! But when it's all said and done, I'm not interested in comparisons (and hope they are not either) because I know I chose the path I wanted, and most of the people I am talking about chose exactly what they wanted. It's not that we don't want kids, we're just not there yet. I am already doing what I want to do for a living (teaching at a college), I just don't have a full time position yet. And I am looking forward to showing off my wonderful husband. Things have been really great for us this year, and we're working hard to stay on track to graduate by next May.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Does anyone have any stories to share from their reunions? They can be good or bad--I'm interested!

2 comments:

J.M. said...

KB, congrats on finishing that whopper of a film paper! :)

Trish said...

So good to hear an update from you!! Sounds like even though things are super busy they're also good. And sleep sounds fascinating--if it falls through, though, could you write about hair? :P Kidding.

I totally skipped my 10 year reunion and have ZERO regrets. Everyone who I want to see I still see on a semi-regular basis. And I think you'd be surprised at how many people don't have it together at 28. You definitely have it together--just in a different form. I wouldn't stress about it too much.