Monday, November 1, 2010

Least favorite question

We all hear the many commercials that make fun of the "are we there yet?" types of questions that kids ask.  In fact, many say it's their least favorite question.  In my life, I can't ever remember asking whether we were "there" yet.  It seems to me pretty obvious: if we're still driving, we're not there.  But I never minded not being there yet.  I had my books, and beyond reading, as my mom would say, "you're never wasting time if you're looking at scenery."

I've discovered that I have a least favorite question.  I just cringe when a student comes into the classroom and says, "I was absent--did I miss anything?"  YES, YOU MISSED SOMETHING.  YOU MISSED CLASS.

1 comment:

Rita Meggers said...

For those of us who take special pride in our work, this question can almost seem personal. "Did you teach anything worth showing up for in class today?"

"No, I agonized carefully over each one of your papers, these little bits of your lives which you entrust in my care, wanting to inspire you if I can, and at the very least edify you by the time you leave, loving you for your flaws, loving you for your humanity, wanting to show you the mix of unadulterated admiration and laughable contempt I have for you...on three hours of sleep. No, you didn't miss anything."

"Oh, cool, dude. So, uh, did we have any homework or shit like that?"