Thursday, February 7, 2013

2012 wrap-up, just a little late

I loved my Christmas holidays so much--so much so that I wish I could stay in holiday mode for another month or two!  (And, by the way...um, does anyone know where January went? I could have sworn it was around here somewhere but it seems to have disappeared...)  But the best part about coming off of the holidays is that I am teaching two brand new classes this semester, and I'm excited about the opportunity to stretch myself yet a little more beyond my comfort zone.  (Which was the entire essence of my 2012--holy cow.)  This semester is already speeding up very quickly.  We're currently four weeks in.

Since this is my first post of 2013, I want to do an overdue 2012 wrap-up.  Here are some of the major things I did in 2012:

1. Applied for many, many jobs and accepted one that I was offered after an on-campus interview: @ the wonderful Wayland Baptist University.

2. Read all of the Harry Potter books for the first time. (This was my present to myself for landing a job.)  Loved them and raved about them so much that my uber-skeptical husband decided to give Book One a try.  He, of course, ended up reading them all, and at break-neck pace.  Then we watched all the films for the first time!  So, we're a little late to the Harry Potter party, but let's set that aside and embrace the fact that we arrived at all!  Now I'm a bit HP-obsessed.

3. Walked the stage with my husband to accept my Ph.D. in English (his Ph.D.is in Musicology).

4. Moved from Glendora, CA to Plainview, TX.

5. Started a full-time teaching position as an assistant professor of English.

6. Taught almost 100 freshmen and sophomores during my first semester @ WBU, almost half of them being athletes (47). Three of them were English majors.

7. Gave my first paper at NAVSA (North American Victorian Studies Association).  Had a fantastic time with old friends and made a few new friends.  Plan on attending again (in addition to CEA--College English Association) in 2013.

8.  Traveled to Virginia and Wisconsin by myself to present papers and managed not to get lost once.

9. Became an aunt for the third time, a third boy. Okay, so this is not something major that I did, but, what a cutie!

10. Cooked my first turkey dinner from scratch. It wasn't for Thanksgiving, but it was at a very thankful time, so it felt right.

11. Had a Wilkie Collins paper accepted for publication. It will be published March '13.

What are the big things on my list that I want to accomplish for 2013?

1. Get pre-approved for a house loan.

2. Publish another paper.

3. Complete the All Things Dickinson project with my sanity intact.

4. Teach a successful graduate seminar. My first one starts this month! (18C British)

5. Cook or bake at least one new thing each month.  And use my kitchen gadgets! (Thanks for the ever-present reminder, Trish!)

6. Take a trip with Scott back to CA to see my wonderful friends.  We miss you all so much.

No comments: